Sunday 10 July 2011

The Ladies Do Lunch

Sara parked the car and ran around to help Esther alight with ease. Sara marvelled that Esther navigated on three-inch heels. They hurried into the restaurant , glad to escape a cold north wind, stirring red and gold fall leaves into a mad dance. A waiter showed them to their table and took their drink order. 

They eyed each other from across the table. Esther was surprised to see Sara in something other than her blue jeans. She wore black dress pants with a cream cashmere sweater and a bright red stole.  She looked surprisingly fresh for someone who was the mother of three.
“Sara, I love this place. Great seafood. I think that I’ll go with the halibut.”

“Sure have had some great family dinners here?  ‘Member Dad? He loved a shrimp cocktail and a bloody Caesar.”

 “Yeah, he sure did. But what made you ask me out? We usually come here for special occasions.” Esther sipped on her dry martini. Sara was surprised at the martini because Esther usually had a glass of white wine. Sara raised her glass of merlot and they clinked glasses. “Cheers,” they said in unison, guarded in their tone. They both felt the tension mount between them.

 “I have something to tell you. You won’t like it. It is about me and Roger. We are moving out to the west coast. It is a promotion for Roger.”

 “What wonderful news, Sara! Dad and I always knew that he was a bright young man who would go far. So why did you think that I would be upset? Always happy to see you kids move on.”

 “Yeah, but you can’t live on your own. Roger and I are worried about you. Now that you are getting older...” Sara’s eyes clouded with concern; Esther sensed that she was on the verge of tears. She reached out and clasped Sara’s hand.

 “Listen, don’t worry about me. Doing lots of stuff.  Getting out and about quite a bit. Sara, I have something to share with you and I believe that this is the best moment.”

 “Okay. I hope this isn’t bad news,?”

“No, no. D’ye remember Jack?  Best friends. Me and Dad, Jack and Betty.  I ran into him this spring. We hadn’t seen each for some time. He has been lonely without Betty. He loves to travel. We all went to Hawaii together. Years ago.”

 “Yeah, yeah.  Those crazy movies of you recklessly trying body-surfing when the locals wouldn’t even attempt those high waves.”  Sara chuckled at the memory.

“Yes, Jack and I were laughing about that the other day. I think that we will go back, if only to enjoy just one more wonderful Hawaiian sunset.”

No comments:

Post a Comment