Wednesday 13 July 2011

After All These Years

In the end it didn’t matter. Annie clung to a memory of herself in a blue mini dress, dancing up a storm with Bob. So began their tempestuous romance before he took off without a word. He called yesterday and now she stressed over the fact that they were about to meet again. She should have hung up but it was too late now. The door bell rang and there he was.

             Annie gasped at the sight of his Tilley hat and hiking stick. His Biblical beard seemed at odds with his walking shorts. She half expected him to either reel off the Ten Commandments or else invite her to go hiking. Instead, he dropped the stick, tossed his hat in the air and grabbed her hand. He swung her around as he shouted:

“Annie, Annie, pretty as ever.” She caught her breath as she steadied herself, her hand on the kitchen counter.

“Don’t act crazy. Like it was nearly fifty years ago.”

“Annie, it’s always about the eyes. I would have known your eyes anywhere.”

They glanced sideways at each other across the kitchen table as she passed him a wedge of apple pie. He forked that pie vigorously. Annie sensed his hunger as she said:

 “So how goes it?  What’s with Barb and your kids?”

“Annie, we divorced years ago. I’m a travelling man. Never could resist a pretty face.” He burst into song. ‘Of all the girls I loved before, who wandered in and out my door...’  What say I grab another slice of pie? Maybe another cup of coffee? “

“Help yourself. And fill up my cup while you’re at it.  Okay, I’m curious. D’ye still see your kids?”

“We wanted the best for our children.  Alan and Brad are doing well in the computer industry but my granddaughter Angie—she is the real star of the family.  She went to private school. Drama, singing, dance lessons.  What talent --she’s got a future, Annie, she’s got a future.”

“A chip off the old block?  W sure had a blast on the dance floor.”

“With the right break, you and I could have been the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers of our time. But Lady Luck wasn’t with us.”

Annie raised one eyebrow as she said:

“Hmm. Anyway, what are you doing back in the old home town? “

“You are still special to me, girl. I was in awe of you. I was wild about you. But I was the frog before the princess. You were the doctor’s daughter.”

“You took off, I cried into my pillow for months. But Archie came along. We had a good life. He passed away five years ago”

“Bet Archie left you well fixed? Annie, I’m down on my luck. They always cut the high-level guys first.  Can you put me up until I get back on my feet? I have connections but it won’t happen overnight...” His voice trailed off as Annie sprang to her feet, face flushed and blue eyes blazing. She spat out the words:

“Bob, I want you to leave. I’m not that girl anymore!”

Bob grabbed his stick, shoved on his hat and strode out without a backward glance.  Annie poured herself a glass of red wine and reached for the photograph album. She studied it page by page—wedding pictures, kids growing up, grandchildren and memories of Hawaii, Europe and Bali.  Her heart ached for Archie’s presence. As for Bob, he was as irrepressible as ever. She sipped her wine as she said to herself, “Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment